Facts and History of the New York City Fire Museum
The New York City Fire Museum opened in Long Island City in 1934. In 1959 the collection was moved to the Manhattan. Later it was relocated to its current location on Spring Street. To learn more about the history of the Museum and the New York City FD visit: http://www.nycfiremuseum.org/history.cfm
Fun Facts about the Museum:
- The museum has two floors of exhibit space. The first features equipment, gear and apparatus, and a September 11th Memorial. The second floor features volunteer memorabilia and paintings.
- The Museum has one of the largest collections of fire-related artifacts and artwork in the world.
- The Museum is a private, not-for-profit institution. It operates in a firehouse owned by the FDNY.
- Firefighting on Parade
- Romance of Firefighting
- Fire Apparatus
- Tools and Uniforms
- 9/11 Memorial
Stay current with NYCFM by liking their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nycfiremuseum.
Photo credit: NYCFM Facebook page.