Articles by Month: March 2015
American Heroes Supply is a new start-up in the Metro D.C. market. Doug Smith, a retired Anne Arundel County Fireman and entrepreneur, has partnered with Tom Miller, a retired D.C. Fireman and entrepreneur. Doug has owned a successful home building firm for many years and Tom founded a competitive dealership.
Together they have worked hard to introduce Fire-Dex into many strategic areas, including Maryland and Virginia as well as keeping an eye on the volunteer market known as the eastern shore. They have a storefront operation in Capitol Heights, MD that sees a lot of foot traffic from the surrounding Metro firefighters.
Doug and Tom are poised to do great things for us in an incredibly difficult marketplace to navigate due to the County procurement systems and complex bidding structures.
We’re thrilled to have American Heroes on board and look forward to continued success from Doug and Tom.
1. What’s the best thing that happened to you this week, either at work or outside of work?
Hosting James Long and John Heaton from WS Darley at the Fire-Dex office on Tuesday.
2. What is your favorite vacation destination?
Las Vegas – golf, gambling & general debauchery.
3. What is your favorite local restaurant or place to hangout?
The Pub at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio.
4. What is your best advice for new college grads or jobseekers looking for their first career gig?
Work hard, have fun every day, and treat people well. Keep it simple & it will all work out for you.
5. What is the one thing you wish you’d known 20 years ago?
How much fun it would be when the kids were grown, out of the house and on their own!
6. What are three things people don’t know about you and may be surprised to learn?
1) I am a preacher’s kid.
2) I am a grandpa (Landyn is 6 & Alivia is almost 1).
3) I live deep in Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio.
7. What is your favorite app?
ESPN SportCenter on my iPad.
8. What is your favorite movie of all time (yes, only one!)?
Rio Bravo, starring John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Walter Brennan & very young Angie Dickinson.
9. What song makes you want to “bust a move” when you hear it on your iPod or radio?
“Fire” by Jimi Hendrix or “Thunderstruck” by ACDC, depending on my mood.
10. What is your favorite cookie?
11. What do you love most about your job?
Being of service to first responders!
12. What accomplishment are you most proud of in your professional life?
Staying focused on sales throughout my career. I love the competition and the teamwork needed for success. It is always challenging.
13. Who is/was your inspiration?
My Grandpa Allison.
14. What are you most excited about for Fire-Dex for 2015?
Our total, 100% company commitment to growing. Metros, military, helping our existing dealer grow, adding new dealers, higher technical specification, new products, & everything else. It is going to be blast filling the 2nd shift!
15. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas – no contest.
16. If you could go back to college today, what would your major be?
I still would do a Business degree.
17. What one device can you not live without?
18. If you were stranded on an island and could only have three things. What would those three things be?
My wife Michelle, a lighter & a charged satellite phone, just in case we wanted to call someone to come get us.
19. Which do you prefer, Android or iPhone?
20. Who would you like to “tag” at Fire-Dex to be the next 20 Questions “victim”?
Fire-Dex is seeking a Product Manager – Head to Toe Products. This position is responsible for the product planning and execution throughout the product lifecycle, including: gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with design, sales, marketing and support to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met. The Product Manager’s job also includes ensuring that the product supports the company’s overall strategy and goals. This role will be for all products, excluding turnouts including Helmets, Hoods, Boots, Gloves, etc.
Reports to: Director of Marketing
Works With: Quality/Compliance Manager, Director of Operations, Director of Sales, Regional Sales Managers, Product Design, Material suppliers, testing facilities, Dealer (Reps and Management), End Use Firefighters
- Drive key new product development initiatives
- Develop and Implement strategic marketing plans to achieve corporate objectives
- Conduct market research and analysis including: market size, market trends, competitive analysis, consumer buying behavior, price point analysis, etc.
- Manage product line maintenance including: pricing, SKU rationalization, inventory management, cost reductions, setup, etc
- Define and execute product strategy and roadmap (Product life cycle management)
- Manage the creation of marketing collateral pieces including packaging, brochures, signage, etc.
- Learn current Fire-Dex products and competitive products
- Identify gaps in current product line offerings
- The Product Manager will drive new product development and is responsible for all market research necessary to understand specific end user value added features and benefits
- The Product Manager will manage products throughout various stages of the product life cycle
- This position will require periodic travel (25%) to Dealers, Fire Departments and with RSMs.
- Support RSMs during presentations and to be product expert
- To facilitate market research, customer feedback and manage VOC
- Travel with Distributor Sales Reps to Fire Departments
- Interact with Dealer management to understand needs
- Be able to define needs/wants of end users and translate to product features and benefits.
Required experience and knowledge:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or related field. MBA Preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years of Marketing/Product Manager experience
- Demonstrated success defining and launching products
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
For more information or to submit your resume please email: email@example.com
Congratulations to our March FDXL-5o Grey Leather Boot winner, Rhonda Hensley. We will give another pair of FDXL-50 Grey Leather Boots away in April. Be watching for the entry to that contest.
Rhonda, you will receive an email with more instructions about sizing and delivery.
Have a great weekend, everyone!