Articles by Day: August 6, 2015
- 50% – Bedrooms were the leading location where civilian fire fatalities occurred in residential buildings.
- The time period from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. accounted for 52% of civilian fire fatalities in residential buildings. This period also accounted for 49% of fatal fires in residential buildings.
- More than half of reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves. (55%)
- 46% of electrical failure home fires involved other known type of equipment, such as washer or dryer, fans, and portable or stationary space heater.
- “Other unintentional, careless” actions (15%) and “smoking” (14%) were the leading reported causes of fatal fires in residential buildings.
- An estimated 10,000 residential building attic fires are reported to U.S. fire departments each year and cause an estimated 30 deaths, 125 injuries, and $477 million in property loss.