Christmas Tree Fire Statistics – Infographic
Christmas trees are a traditional part of the Christmas holiday. They can also be a major source of fuel in a fire.
- Christmas trees were the item first ignited in an estimated average of 210 reported home structure fires per year in 2009-2013.
- Electrical failures or malfunctions were factors in 30% of Christmas tree fires.
- 18% of home Christmas tree fires involved decorative lights.
- Wiring or related equipment was involved in 12%.
- Cords or plugs were involved in 5%.
- 24% of the Christmas tree fires, some type of heat source, such as a candle or equipment, was too close to the tree.
- 80% or four of every five Christmas tree fires occurred in December and January.