Articles by Month: January 2016
- Most of the firefighters injured last year were hurt during fireground operations, where 27,015, or 42.6 percent, of all firefighter injuries occurred. This was a decrease of 10.2 percent from the previous year, the lowest number since 1981.
- Injuries at the fireground decreased from a high of 67,500 in 1981 to 27,015 in 2014, a drop of 60 percent.
- The number of fires also declined steadily, for an overall decrease of 55.1 percent, and the rate of injuries per 1,000 fires has fluctuated over the past 34 years between a high of 28.3 injuries per 1,000 fires in 1990 and a low of 20.8 injuries per 1,000 fires in 2014.
- These results suggest that, even though the number of fires and fireground injuries declined during the period, the injury rate did not, meaning the fireground injury rate per fire risk has not changed much since 1981.
911 Rapid Response has been a Fire-Dex accessory dealer for the past few years. Recently they have made the full shift to selling bunker gear ensembles.
Founder and President Mark Sallada is an entrepreneur who has grown his business at a remarkable rate finding his niche in the highly competitive Pennsylvania market place.
Operations Manager Josh Wyse has worked tirelessly to develop a Fire-Dex market in an area dominated by our competition. 911 has used our Paid Wear Trial program to perfection in 2014 and 2015 to develop a pocket of customers.
Mark and Josh are active members of their respective Volunteer Fire Departments and also County search and rescue activities. Mark enjoys his time off with his family in their northern PA camp. Josh is a newlywed and will for sure discover all new adventures with his wife Kimberly.
All at Fire-Dex congratulate Mark, Josh, and the entire team at 911 Rapid Response and look forward to working with them on continued growth and success in 2016 and beyond.
With limited budgets and increased needs, purchasing new gear can be challenging and overwhelming. At Fire-Dex, we understand and can help with this process.
Each year, hundreds of grants are awarded to fire departments across the United States to boost their ability to protect their communities. Because of the multiple NFPA certifications carried by TECGEN® PPE, our gear qualifies for many different types of grants.
We collaborated with FireGrantsHelp.com to offer free grant assistance for PPE. We can also alert you about upcoming funding opportunities specific to your state.
Further, we have a TECGEN Product Specialist, Todd Herring, available for questions about the gear and grant opportunities.
To access the TECGEN Grant Assistance Program, click here and complete your department information. Within 72 hours, a Grants Assistance Manager will contact you.
Title/Position: TECGEN Product Specialist
1. What’s the best thing that happened to you this week, either at work or outside of work?
My wife booked our 2016 vacation and it involves Oktoberfest… in Belgium. Yeah, baby!
2. What is your favorite vacation destination?
Ireland: any pub along the Ring of Kerry (and there are LOTS.)
3. What is your favorite local restaurant or place to hangout?
The Trappe Door in Greenville, SC.
4. What is your best advice for new college grads or jobseekers looking for their first career gig?
Don’t demand respect, earn it. Be passionate about what you do. If you’re not, find something else.
5. What is the one thing you wish you’d known 20 years ago?
That Google and Apple would own the world. I would have bought stock then.
6. What are 3 things people don’t know about you and may be surprised to learn?
I play drums, race cars and love to cook. I’m not very good at any of these things, but it’s fun to pretend that I am.
7. What is your favorite app?
Waze, Definitely. Crowd-sourced, data-driving, real-time traffic guidance. I use it to drive to the grocery store sometimes. Yeah I’m a geek like that.
8. What is your favorite movie of all time?
9. What song makes you want to “bust a move” when you hear it on your iPod or radio?
Well I don’t know about “bustin’ a move,” but if head bobbing counts, right now it’s Can’t Feel My Face.
10. What is your favorite cookie?
Oreos… lots of white chocolate-covered Oreos.
11. What do you love most about your job?
Visiting Fire Departments all over the country (and internationally as well.) It doesn’t matter where you go; the accents may change but the character is the same: fun, helpful and honest. The brotherhood is real and I’m so thankful to play whatever small part I can to help.
12. What accomplishment are you most proud of in your professional life?
Helping take the TECGEN PPE concept from the back of a bar napkin (literally) to being utilized in over 3,000 departments across the country. It shows there was a true need for mission-specific PPE and I’m proud to be play a part in fulfilling that need.
13. Who is/was your inspiration?
My dad. He worked hard on a farm in rural North Carolina to provide an opportunity for me to do something different. He taught me to work hard, treat people with respect, always do the right thing and appreciate the things I have. I hope I can pass along a few of these values to my son as well.
14. What are you most excited about for Fire-Dex in 2016?
I’m very excited to work with a great team at Fire-Dex to help take TECGEN PPE to the next level! New products, new ideas… stay tuned, it’s going to be a great year!
15. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. Time with the family is precious and I realize that more and more every year.
16. If you could go back to college today, what would your major be?
I think I would still be an engineer. They do call me gadget man for a reason.
17. What one device can you not live without?
iPhone. How would I find my way home without Waze?
18. If you were stranded on an island and could only have THREE things, what would they be?
Sunscreen, fishing pole and music. Now it’s like a vacation!
19. Which do you prefer, Android or iPhone?
20. Who would you like to “tag” at Fire-Dex to be the next 20 Questions “victim?”
My good buddy, David Moore.