Articles by Year: 2016
Title/Position: TECGEN Product Specialist
1. What’s the best thing that happened to you this week, either at work or outside of work?
My wife booked our 2016 vacation and it involves Oktoberfest… in Belgium. Yeah, baby!
2. What is your favorite vacation destination?
Ireland: any pub along the Ring of Kerry (and there are LOTS.)
3. What is your favorite local restaurant or place to hangout?
The Trappe Door in Greenville, SC.
4. What is your best advice for new college grads or jobseekers looking for their first career gig?
Don’t demand respect, earn it. Be passionate about what you do. If you’re not, find something else.
5. What is the one thing you wish you’d known 20 years ago?
That Google and Apple would own the world. I would have bought stock then.
6. What are 3 things people don’t know about you and may be surprised to learn?
I play drums, race cars and love to cook. I’m not very good at any of these things, but it’s fun to pretend that I am.
7. What is your favorite app?
Waze, Definitely. Crowd-sourced, data-driving, real-time traffic guidance. I use it to drive to the grocery store sometimes. Yeah I’m a geek like that.
8. What is your favorite movie of all time?
9. What song makes you want to “bust a move” when you hear it on your iPod or radio?
Well I don’t know about “bustin’ a move,” but if head bobbing counts, right now it’s Can’t Feel My Face.
10. What is your favorite cookie?
Oreos… lots of white chocolate-covered Oreos.
11. What do you love most about your job?
Visiting Fire Departments all over the country (and internationally as well.) It doesn’t matter where you go; the accents may change but the character is the same: fun, helpful and honest. The brotherhood is real and I’m so thankful to play whatever small part I can to help.
12. What accomplishment are you most proud of in your professional life?
Helping take the TECGEN PPE concept from the back of a bar napkin (literally) to being utilized in over 3,000 departments across the country. It shows there was a true need for mission-specific PPE and I’m proud to be play a part in fulfilling that need.
13. Who is/was your inspiration?
My dad. He worked hard on a farm in rural North Carolina to provide an opportunity for me to do something different. He taught me to work hard, treat people with respect, always do the right thing and appreciate the things I have. I hope I can pass along a few of these values to my son as well.
14. What are you most excited about for Fire-Dex in 2016?
I’m very excited to work with a great team at Fire-Dex to help take TECGEN PPE to the next level! New products, new ideas… stay tuned, it’s going to be a great year!
15. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. Time with the family is precious and I realize that more and more every year.
16. If you could go back to college today, what would your major be?
I think I would still be an engineer. They do call me gadget man for a reason.
17. What one device can you not live without?
iPhone. How would I find my way home without Waze?
18. If you were stranded on an island and could only have THREE things, what would they be?
Sunscreen, fishing pole and music. Now it’s like a vacation!
19. Which do you prefer, Android or iPhone?
20. Who would you like to “tag” at Fire-Dex to be the next 20 Questions “victim?”
My good buddy, David Moore.
2015 was a very successful year for Fire-Dex in growing revenue & investing in the organization for future business development. We added a second shift to our operations, grew the field sales team and our marketing staff, as well as integrated a new business with the TecGen acquisition.
The budget for 2016 is to grow revenue over 25%. I am confident that we are on track to accomplish these lofty goals.
I have a few organizational announcements effective today, January 4th, as we start the new fiscal year. Dave Liana joined the organization in 1990 as our controller and will now have the title of Vice President, Finance & Chief Financial Officer. John Karban joined in 2003 as Plant Manager and will now have the title of Vice President, Operations. Dave and John have been trusted long term partners with me as Fire-Dex has doubled several times.
Steve Allison will now be Vice President, Sales & Marketing. Steve joined our organization in 2014 as Director of Sales and has worked in our industry for over 25 years. In 2015, Steve hired Peggy Curtis, Bob Keys, Jessica Baumgartner, Jordan Paris and David Moore, and promoted Sarah Finch. Todd Herring also joined our sales team after the TecGen acquisition. John Zbozien, Director of Marketing and Product Development, will report to Steve with this organizational change.
One additional promotion is Tory King, who will have title of Senior Regional Sales Manager. Tory joined us in 2010 as a Denver based Regional Sales Manager. Tory will be hiring a Sales Account Manager for Texas this quarter.
In 2016, we will continue to invest in the business on all fronts to be sure we have the best people, products and service levels for our customers worldwide.
Please join me in congratulating Dave, John, Steve and Tory.
Happy New Year, and I look forward to a very prosperous New Year.