20 Questions With Fire-Dex: John Zbozien
John Zbozien, Director of Marketing and Business Development
I am the coach of my son’s soccer team. On Saturday we got a huge win over one of the best teams in the league. I love watching the excitement the boys get when they see their hard work pay off! We are in first place right now!
2. What is your favorite vacation destination?
Wow, it’s a tie between the Lake Erie Islands and OBX! My family has a cabin on Lake Erie on Catawba Island. It is so much fun up there…boating, jet skis, beer, Put-In-Bay, beer, fishing, beaches, and beer. But, we also go to the Outer Banks every year with a group of friends. We rent a house on the beach for a week…it is awesome! The weather, the food, the beach, the activities, go there once and you are hooked!
3. What is your favorite local restaurant/place to hangout?
Santo’s! It is a family owned, authentic Italian restaurant that has been in the neighborhood for decades. We could eat there every day! “Chicken parm you taste so good” (doing my best Peyton Manning impression in the Nationwide commercial).
4. What is your best advice for new college grads seeking their first career gig?
Work hard. Take what you are given and “own it”! Don’t fall into the trap of feeling like you are owed something. Hard work and determination will move you to where you want to be, not a sense of entitlement.
5. What is the one thing you wish you’d known 20 years ago?
I am a big gambler, so my first inclination was to say the winner of each of the next 20 Super Bowls! Ha, ha…how about “everything I know today”.
6. What are three things people don’t know about you and may be surprised to learn?
- I have a law degree. Four years of graduate school…JD/MBA and all of the student loans to prove it.
- I got full ride scholarship to college for soccer.
- My wife and I started dating in high school and have known each other since 3rd I asked her out in 5th grade and she said no! I guess I finally wore her down.
7. What is your favorite app?
I am still so impressed every time Shazam gets the song right!
I don’t know…there are so many good ones.
8. What is your favorite movie of all time (yes, only one!).
Wow….that’s a tough one. I generally love the stupid comedies like American Pie, Road Trip, Wedding Crashers, Old School, etc. I can quote the best one-liners from these movies at the most opportune times; however, if I have to pick a favorite of all time I am going to have to go with Saving Private Ryan. When I was a kid, I found a bunch of my Grandpa’s WWII stuff in his attic, including his uniform, and a picture of him leading Hermann Goering into the Nuremburg Trials (he did a stint as an MP on his way back to the states). I have been a WWII buff ever since.
9. Who makes you want to “bust a move” when you hear them on your iPod or radio?
Did you just say “bust a move”??!! Really?!? Ok…90’s reference aside…I would have to go with:
-Thunderstruck – AC/DC
-My Hero – Foo Fighters
-2Pac – anything by 2Pac
-Keep me in mind – Zac Brown Band
-Turn down for what – Lil John
-Close to me – The Cure
-Shake it off – Taylor Swift
-Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO
10. What’s your favorite cookie?
You can’t go wrong with Oreos, but I’d have to say the Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies. Every time I eat them I swear I am only going to grab a few…next thing I know the whole box is gone.
11. What do you love most about your job?
Every day we work on making products that are designed to help send a mother or father home to their family. What an honor! I am proud to be a part of it all. On top of that, Fire-Dex employees are like a big family, it is a culture unlike anything I have experienced in my career.
12. What accomplishment are you most proud of in your professional life?
Wow…that’s a tough one. There are so many product launches that I am proud of, I guess I would have to say I am the most proud that one of the first Product Managers I ever managed worked her way up the corporate ladder at a big company in Cleveland. Ten years later, I got a thank you card from her, thanking me for being her mentor and for my guidance and leadership. I was very proud of her and happy to know that I helped in some way.
13. Who is/was your inspiration?
My Mom! She died suddenly when I was 23, but I think about her every day. She was an amazing person who had the biggest heart! I always try to think about how she would have reacted or what she would have done in a situation.
14. What are you most excited about for Fire-Dex for 2015?
Where do I begin?! We have some great new leadership, new products, new services, industry leading production, marketing plans, social media, FDIC…it’s a great time to be at Fire-Dex. I couldn’t be more excited for 2015!
15. What is your favorite holiday?
16. If you could go back to college today, what would your major be?
It would still be Marketing.
17. What one device can you not live without?
My phone…oh…or my grill…I love cooking out on the grill. I don’t care if a grill is considered “a device” or not…that’s my answer and I am sticking with it!
18. If you were stranded on an island and could only have 3 things, what would those 3 things be?
- A boat…can I say a boat? Or does that defeat the purpose of the question?
- Unlimited food/water…scratch water and add beer
- My family. Hey…beach, ocean, boat, food and drinks…sounds like a vacation.
19. Android or iPhone?
I went over to the dark side. I have been DROID since it came out, but I just ordered the new iPhone 6.
20. Who would you like to “tag” at Fire-Dex to be the next 20 questions“victim”? 🙂
In no particular order: Sarah Finch, Stacy Foster, Abby Buzon or Allen Rom