Articles by Month: November 2014
1. What’s the best thing that happened to you this week, either at work or outside of work?
I’m almost 17 weeks pregnant and I felt the baby move for the first time Sunday night! I’ve felt the little gymnast doing some crazy stuff a few more times since then.
2. Where is your favorite vacation destination?
I can’t pick between two. One is a spot in southeast Ohio where we go camping and 4-wheeling. There are beautiful rolling hills and lots of woods and creeks and little ponds. My next favorite is Siesta Key in Florida. We stayed there and on Nokomis Beach for about almost a week and it was so fun.
3. What is your favorite local restaurant or place to hangout?
There is a placed called The Grille in Brunswick, owned by Cleveland’s own Captain Cleveland! They have insanely good, authentic Greek and Mediterranean food. The pita bread and hummus is killer!
4. What your best advice for new college grads seeking their first career gig?
Make as many friends as possible! Knowing a guy who knows a guy really pays off.
5. What is the one thing you wish you’d known 20 years ago?
I don’t think I’d do anything any differently… and the butterfly effect is dangerous, so I’d say “nothing”!
6. What are three things people don’t know about you and may be surprised to learn?
1 – I talk to my dog like she’s a human.
2 – I love going fishing and will even go by myself if no one else wants to go.
3 – My husband and I became friends in the seventh grade.
7. What is your favorite app?
Nest. We bought a smoke and carbon monoxide detector that alerts an app on your smart phone when it goes off, which gives me peace of mind with my dogs at home alone! The smoke detector works through your home wifi. You can open the app at any time just to check how things are doing and when the last test was.
8. What is your favorite movie of all time (yes, only one!)?
9. Who makes you want to “bust a move” when you hear them on your iPod or radio?
Stuck in the Middle With You by Stealers Wheel
10. What’s your favorite cookie?
Homemade chocolate chip
11. What do you love most about your job?
I love that I get to be creative and work with a team that loves hearing new ideas.
12. What accomplishment are you most proud of in your professional life?
The creation and ongoing development of the FireWriter2 Custom Gear Configurator. While obviously I didn’t “create” it (I have NO idea how to do any kind of programming) I was given the opportunity to provide the programmers with the blueprint for how the options need to flow, what dependencies need built in, and how to make it work so that customers can easily convey to Fire-Dex exactly how they want their custom gear built with 100% accuracy. It’s easy for me to get stuck in the details, but when I take a step back and look at my original sketches compared to what it has become today, I can’t help but feel proud.
13. Who is/was your inspiration?
My parents are my biggest inspiration. My mom, because she always has a great outlook on any situation, and life in general. She’s a strong person and knows how to deal with anything. My dad, because he’s totally unstoppable. He has always come home from work to do more work at home. He takes a lot of pride in everything he does and is a total perfectionist. He’s an electrician and the panels he wires look like a work of art, they’re so perfect. He has always taught me the value in working as hard as you can and putting your best face forward.
14. What are you most excited about for Fire-Dex for 2015?
I’m most excited for our “new look” to be completely finished and public. We’re revamping all of our catalogs and literature right now and they will be available in the first quarter of 2015.
15. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas, by far. I just love the lights and the food!
16. If you could go back to college today, what would your major be?
Ha, Marketing! Psychology seemed like a good choice at the time…
17. What one device can you not live without?
My computer. I went without a smart phone for a long time and could do it again if I had to. I can’t live without a computer, though
18. If you were stranded on an island and could only have 3 things, what would those 3 things be?
Speaking from a completely utilitarian standpoint, if this was a deserted island and I was in survival mode: a big roll of fabric, preferably Nomex®/Kevlar®, a roll of duct tape, and really sharp knife. If this island is a resort: sunglasses, a yoga mat and a chai latte.
19. Android or iPhone?
iPhone… it’s all I’ve ever known!
20. Who would you like to “tag” at Fire-Dex to be the next 20 questions “victim”?
This weekend Fire-Dex RSM Tony Moore will be attending a Chili Cook Off at the White River Township Fire Department in Greenwood, Indiana. Fire-Dex and Old National Bank are the main sponsors for this event. All event proceeds benefit the Christmas Angels. Christmas Angels is a charity that provides gifts and a Christmas party for children in need.
Photo from the 2013 event.