The Historic Washington Fire Company No. 2
The Washing Fire Company No. 2 is the second oldest Fire Department in Indiana, founded in 1846. Not long after opening the department began construction on their historic firehouse. Designed by the “Temperly and Dutton” architecture team for only $6, the building’s narrow, two-story construction allowed the Department to operate efficiently in a part of town that was low on ground space. Since the 19th century changes have been made to the Firehouse – the wider equipment bay door, or the replacing of the old wooden roofing, for example – but as a whole the building stays true to it’s original design.
Today the Washington Fire Company No. 2 stays true to its roots, installing the original nickel-plated number “2” onto each of it’s trucks, along with the original bell that hung from the Company’s first steam apparatus.
If you are interested in learning more about the Historic Washington Fire Company No. 2, please visit the building’s entry in the National Parks Service, or its public record in the Library of Congress.