Fire-Dex is pleased to announce the promotion of Nick Lino to a Team Leader Position. In his new role, Nick will be instrumental in planning and assigning work, implementing procedures and company policies, coaching and developing teams, and all other team leader functions. Nick is currently overseeing the TECGEN PPE product line.
Congratulations to our September Fire-Dex 1910 Helmet, Jason Hensler from Clyman Fire Department.
Next month we will be giving away a set of TECGEN PPE, so be watching for the entry to that contest.
Jason, you will receive an email with more instructions about sizing and delivery.
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
Dual-certified TECGEN PPE is all you need for 90% of your calls, including extrication, MVAs, rescue, incident command and more – protecting your valuable turnout gear from rips, contamination and UV exposure for a fraction of the price.
- TECGEN® garments meet the National Fire Protection Association’s specifications for both wildland firefighting (NFPA 1977) and technical rescue (NFPA 1951).
- Developed for firefighters to wear as an alternative to heavy, hot turnout gear during non-structural fire or emergency calls.
- TECGEN fabrics are made with a high density TECGEN® fiber blend and para-aramid in a comfortable and durable construction.
- Applications: Extrication, MVA, Wildland, Grass and Brush Fires, Trench Rescue, Training, Good Will Calls, Search and Rescue, Junior Firefighting and Explorer Programs, Confined Space, High/Low Angle Rescue, and Support Personnel
Fire-Dex will be supporting the Hands-On-Training sessions at FDIC by providing each of the 100+ instructors with a set of TECGEN PPE. These sets of gear will include a one-of-a-kind FDIC, H.O.T. Instructor patch.
With limited budgets and increased needs, purchasing new gear can be challenging and overwhelming. At Fire-Dex, we understand and can help with this process.
Each year, hundreds of grants are awarded to fire departments across the United States to boost their ability to protect their communities. Because of the multiple NFPA certifications carried by TECGEN® PPE, our gear qualifies for many different types of grants.
We collaborated with FireGrantsHelp.com to offer free grant assistance for PPE. We can also alert you about upcoming funding opportunities specific to your state.
Further, we have a TECGEN Product Specialist, Todd Herring, available for questions about the gear and grant opportunities.
To access the TECGEN Grant Assistance Program, click here and complete your department information. Within 72 hours, a Grants Assistance Manager will contact you.
Title/Position: TECGEN Product Specialist
1. What’s the best thing that happened to you this week, either at work or outside of work?
My wife booked our 2016 vacation and it involves Oktoberfest… in Belgium. Yeah, baby!
2. What is your favorite vacation destination?
Ireland: any pub along the Ring of Kerry (and there are LOTS.)
3. What is your favorite local restaurant or place to hangout?
The Trappe Door in Greenville, SC.
4. What is your best advice for new college grads or jobseekers looking for their first career gig?
Don’t demand respect, earn it. Be passionate about what you do. If you’re not, find something else.
5. What is the one thing you wish you’d known 20 years ago?
That Google and Apple would own the world. I would have bought stock then.
6. What are 3 things people don’t know about you and may be surprised to learn?
I play drums, race cars and love to cook. I’m not very good at any of these things, but it’s fun to pretend that I am.
7. What is your favorite app?
Waze, Definitely. Crowd-sourced, data-driving, real-time traffic guidance. I use it to drive to the grocery store sometimes. Yeah I’m a geek like that.
8. What is your favorite movie of all time?
9. What song makes you want to “bust a move” when you hear it on your iPod or radio?
Well I don’t know about “bustin’ a move,” but if head bobbing counts, right now it’s Can’t Feel My Face.
10. What is your favorite cookie?
Oreos… lots of white chocolate-covered Oreos.
11. What do you love most about your job?
Visiting Fire Departments all over the country (and internationally as well.) It doesn’t matter where you go; the accents may change but the character is the same: fun, helpful and honest. The brotherhood is real and I’m so thankful to play whatever small part I can to help.
12. What accomplishment are you most proud of in your professional life?
Helping take the TECGEN PPE concept from the back of a bar napkin (literally) to being utilized in over 3,000 departments across the country. It shows there was a true need for mission-specific PPE and I’m proud to be play a part in fulfilling that need.
13. Who is/was your inspiration?
My dad. He worked hard on a farm in rural North Carolina to provide an opportunity for me to do something different. He taught me to work hard, treat people with respect, always do the right thing and appreciate the things I have. I hope I can pass along a few of these values to my son as well.
14. What are you most excited about for Fire-Dex in 2016?
I’m very excited to work with a great team at Fire-Dex to help take TECGEN PPE to the next level! New products, new ideas… stay tuned, it’s going to be a great year!
15. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. Time with the family is precious and I realize that more and more every year.
16. If you could go back to college today, what would your major be?
I think I would still be an engineer. They do call me gadget man for a reason.
17. What one device can you not live without?
iPhone. How would I find my way home without Waze?
18. If you were stranded on an island and could only have THREE things, what would they be?
Sunscreen, fishing pole and music. Now it’s like a vacation!
19. Which do you prefer, Android or iPhone?
20. Who would you like to “tag” at Fire-Dex to be the next 20 Questions “victim?”
My good buddy, David Moore.
Fire-Dex was formed after A Best Products Co. purchased Morgan Protection Apparel in Rome, GA in 1983. Since the primary business was manufacturing welding and firefighting gloves with good dexterity, the name “Fire-Dex” was an obvious choice.
Fire-Dex strategically grew by adding more accessory items such as fire hoods and suspenders and then began manufacturing structural turnout gear in 1987. Expansion continued in the following years, adding ParaDex EMS and USAR Gear. In September of 2008 Fire-Dex acquired the Chieftain brand, bringing with it a long history in the fire industry, dating back to 1927.
Fire-Dex entered the firefighting footwear market in 2010 when they launched their first structural firefighting boot, the FDXL-100 Red Leather Boot.
Finally, TECGEN® PPE became a Fire-Dex brand in September of 2015.
Medina, Ohio – September 1, 2015 – Fire-Dex, a leading manufacturer of protective firefighting clothing, has acquired TECGEN PPE®, an innovative flame resistant fabric and garment technology from National Safety Apparel (NSA).
Fire-Dex is the exclusive licensee of the TECGEN PPE® product line for the first responder market. This acquisition will strengthen Fire-Dex as a global PPE leader, focused on protecting firefighters. This unique technical solution will expand Fire-Dex’s head-to-toe offering.
Steve Allison, Director of Sales, states “The TECGEN PPE® fabric and product designs are outstanding for modern day firefighter activities for more than 90% of department calls. NFPA 1971 structural firefighter gear is critical safety equipment but departments need additional function specific PPE that impacts their safety and comfort.”
Focused on protection and breathability, TECGEN PPE® offers a comfortable, protective alternative to wearing turnout gear or day uniforms for technical rescue and extrication work. TECGEN PPE® gear is specifically designed to stand up to the tasks most commonly performed during MVA, extrication and technical rescue responses.
“Fire-Dex and TECGEN PPE® are two of the fastest growing brands in the fire industry. This acquisition is a great fit for Fire-Dex as it further strengthens their leadership position in the PPE, fire apparel business” said Chuck Grossman, President & CEO of National Safety Apparel.
Fire-Dex, headquartered in Medina, OH, is a leading manufacturer and marketer of protective firefighting clothing, emergency response apparel, NFPA hoods, helmets, gloves and boots. For more information on Fire-Dex visit www.firedex.com. Also, see more at www.fire.tecgen.com.